Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baking 101 and the question of too much TV

My son and I were bored yesterday morning. Staying at home is a rare thing for us. We are normally out and about every morning and every afternoon. I have decided that Will needs to become accustomed to hanging at home a bit more as I am pregnant and we are likely to stay at home a bit more when the baby is born. Anyway, I digress. We were bored. I decided that a baking session was a good idea. We made some Milo cookies and had such a good time.



This experiment got me thinking about something that I forever feel guilty about. Do I let Will watch too much television? Should we be doing more activites instead of watching ABC Kids? I don't use the TV as a babysitter, but we do have it on quite a bit in the mornings. I am not one of those people that thinks that the TV will eat his brain but something about it makes me feel like a less-than-perfect parent (don't worry, I am not under any illusion that I am a perfect parent - there is no such thing). Do other parents get their activity boxes out on a daily basis, leaving the idiot box for rare occasions, or are they like me and just bung it on as a matter or course?

4 comments:

  1. Mornings, yes - afternoon, no.... Unless she is whinging around dinner time (which is most nights anyway) just realised that ABC shows kids pass 6pm OMG!
    Welcome to blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your TV rules sound exactly the same as ours - morning and just before dinner if I need peace in the kitchen! Thanks for the welcome. Yay - my first comment! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like W enjoyed baking! Gonna post the recipe?

    We're the same - the telly is on in the background a fair bit of the time, but I think it's having a positive effect for the most part! The other day Fraser was watching Sesame Street when the letter of the day was 'p'. He was standing on his alphabet mat, immediately said "It's 'P'! Just like my letter 'P'!", and picked up the letter from his mat.
    See? It's edumacational ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry t.v. on here to but I do monitor what they watch. Mainly Playschool, Little Einsteins or the Mickey Mouse club which are all educational hahaha that's my excuse and helps me appease my guilt for using it.

    ReplyDelete